Our homes are getting smarter every day, so it is very expected to introduce some smart appliances into your home. A good way to start is by buying multi-color light bulbs and installing them in your home. There are plenty of different smart light bulbs on the market, and while perhaps the most famous ones are the Philips Hue ones, there are many advantages to a plethora of other bulbs as well. The smart light bulbs have grown exponentially smarter in recent years, today giving you the option to control them via an app on your smartphone, all from the comfort of your bed. Smart bulbs today come with a degree of interactivity as well, something you can’t get with the traditional bulbs. Many of the smart bulb models have scheduling timers so you don’t forget to turn the lights on and off, thus saving on your energy bills.
Most interestingly, some bulbs work with the GPS in your smartphone to map your exact location, and automatically turn the lights on or off when you approach or distance from your house. Nevertheless, you should always be smart and consider a number of things before you decide which multi-color light bulbs to purchase, especially if you plan on setting up your entire house. Hence, to make your choice easier, we’re presenting you with the five best multi-color light bulbs.
LOHAS Smart LED Bulb – Our pick
The LOHAS multi-color bulb is rated at 30,000 hours of use, and has one year warranty, all for the price of $39.99. The smart bulb is easy to install via three steps. Just scan the QR code to download the app (compatible with both Android and iOS smart devices), install the lamp to your E26 base and use the app to control the WiFi bulb. No hub is needed. The brightness can be set from 1600k to 9000k, with over 16 million colors to choose and dim. You can also create groups within the app to manage a few lights at the same time and perform a synchronized switch, select scene modes and color changes, along with timer settings. The bulb works well with Amazon Alexa and Google Home, so it can be easily voice controlled. You can reduce power usage up to 80% and set the bulb indoors or outdoors.
The remote control gives you the opportunity to control the multi-color light bulbs via Internet anytime from anywhere, leaving an impression that you are home even if you are not. On top of that, the sleep timer is there to turn the light on and off for you. Just pre-set the preferred times inside the app, along with the desired colors, and leave the work to the bulb. Since it works with Amazon Alexa, the bulb can be voice controlled and save you a lot of trouble in many situations, like coming through the door of a dark house with shopping bags in your hands. Just tell Alexa to turn on the light and there you have it – a clear pathway to the kitchen!
Pros and cons
To sum up the experience with the LOHAS Smart LED Bulb, here are some pros and cons listed below.
- Time scheduling option for an added convenience.
- Voice and remote control to save you the trouble of getting up.
- A true rainbow of colors and whites, all dimmable.
- Group control of few bulbs at the same time.
- Eight scene modes to choose from on any occasion.
- There are users who reported that they could not pair more than one of these bulbs with Alexa at the same time.
- The smart bulb sometimes interfered with the WiFi router and caused the router to go offline.
- When installing the app, some users reported that you might need to set your phone to 2.4 ghz WiFi, in order to connect it with the bulbs and add the app for manual control.
- Few of the users additionally mentioned that the smart bulb is too bright, but this is a matter of personal opinion.
Cxy Smart multi-color light bulbs
This bulb works with Amazon Alexa for voice control without the need of a hub. You can control the “on” and “off” options via the free Smart Life app, enabling your remote control through your smart device. For the price of $25.98, this multi-color bulb is perfect if you wish to eliminate the wasteful standby power consumption and reduce energy use simply by using the customized schedule. The bulb’s lifespan is rated at 25,000 hours, and is equal to the brightness of a 100W incandescent bulb. Additionally, it comes with a 2-year warranty. All you need to do is to install the bulb at the preferred place and download the free Smart Life app on your smart phone to effortlessly choose the preferred color from the RGB circle displayed within the app, all while adjusting the color brightness from dark to bright.
The multi-color light bulb comes with eight scenes to choose from in the app: Night Mode, Reading mode, Party Mode, Leisure mode, Soft mode, Rainbow mode, Shine mode and Gorgeous mode. All of these can be used in accordance with your current mood. On top of that, you can create customized schedules to turn the bulb on and off, guaranteeing a pleasant wake up at 6 am or slow dimming to put you to bed at 11 pm. One bulb can be programmed for a maximum of ten times scheduled, while one smart device can connect and control a maximum of 150 bulbs.
Pros and cons
To sum up the experience with the Cxy Smart multi-color light bulbs, here are some pros and cons listed below.
- Amazing bulb with voice and remote control options.
- Simple and easy to install on both Android and iOS optimized smart devices.
- Good color and brightness settings within the app.
- Cool timer option to reduce your energy consumption.
- Issues with WiFi and Smart Life app connectivity were experienced by some of the users.
- There were at times difficulties pairing with the app via the smart device.
- In some cases, the multi-color light bulb didn’t work well with Alexa.
- Larger than a standard bulb, so it might not fit into some smaller fixtures in your home. Make sure to measure first.
TP-Link Smart color bulb
This smart light bulb offers a 60 Watt brightness equivalent, coming with the option to dim and fine-tune the light appearance from soft white (2500K) to daylight (9000K). For the price of $35.99, you can control your lights from anywhere by downloading the free Kasa app (optimized for Android 4.1 or higher and iOS 8 or higher). These multi-color light bulbs are easy to install, and connects to your home WiFi through the free Kasa app. You can browse through the app and choose from multiple colors and moods to match any occasion or track the energy used. The smart bulb can also be paired with Amazon Alexa to support dimming, shades of white, as well as color settings via voice control.
Regardless if you are at home or away, you can always make sure your lighting is set. You can turn the lights on from your driveway at night, or make sure the lights are off even when you’re already at the office. If you wish to control your bulbs via voice control through Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, simply assign a name to each smart bulb and call it by name when making a simple voice command. You can create a group for all your smart devices and control them with one command. The best thing is that this multi-color light bulb works with any WiFi router, and you won’t need a separate hub or a paid subscription.
Pros and cons
To sum up the experience with the TP-Link Smart color bulb, here are some pros and cons listed below.
- The multi-color light bulbs are simple to manage remotely.
- Plenty of colors to use for every occasion.
- Energy- efficient appliance with a tracker.
- Great voice control options for any situation.
- Some users complained that the bulb is not working with a Samsung S7 device, so you may need some other device to configure it on.
- The bulb tends to become unresponsive at times when controlled via Amazon Alexa or via the app.
- It requires a secured 2.4 GHz WiFi network connection.
LIFX Led Light Bulb
The LIFX multi-color bulb is a smart light bulb that uses WiFi to bring live colors to your home. Its brightness is equivalent to a 75W traditional bulb, but has the added convenience of 16 million colors and warm to cool whites. For the price of $47, the smart bulb requires no hub and is easy to set up. Just follow the attached manual for guidance on installation and download the free LIFX app available for iOS, Android and Windows 10 optimized smart devices. The LIFX light bulb works with Amazon Alexa, Apple Home Kit and the Google Assistant, so you can use simple voice commands to turn your lights on and off, adjust the brightness, or change them to your favorite color. The app itself is very easy to navigate through, enabling you to fine-tune your lighting experience by controlling one or multiple lights in your home and enjoy vibrant colors or delicate whites.
The bulb comes with sufficient built-in intelligence, making it easy to kick-start your connected home. You won’t need any technical skills or additional hardware, since the app will have the software regularly updated, guaranteeing improvements over time. On top of that, you can add even more LIFX bulbs whenever you want and unlock fun features. The LIFX improves and makes your life simpler while giving all the comfort your mood desires. Pretty neat, right?
Pros and cons
To sum up the experience with the LIFX Led Light Bulb, here are some pros and cons listed below.
- Very easy and well-explained setup with great step by step instructions and technical support found on the website.
- Amazing range of true colors and a wide range of white lights with adjustable brightness and color temperature.
- No hub required whatsoever.
- The app is very simple to use and manages colors, themes and scenes in seconds.
- Some users had difficulties with the multi-color light bulbs setup or had instructions missing from the packaging.
- Some users had issues with the app updates, followed by constant and annoying notifications within the app.
MagicLight WiFi multi-color Light Bulbs
This type of smart bulbs works with any Wi-Fi router with no separate hub or paid subscription, lasting for 20,000 hours and equivalent to a 40W incandescent bulb. For a price of $19.99, the Magic Light bulb is simple to install and use. Just screw the bulb in and power it on. Then download the free Magic Light Wi-Fi app to control the bulb via your smartphone. There are many cool features you can use here too, like Music Sync to automatically change the lights to match your music with Rock, Normal, Jazz or Classical settings. These multi-color light bulbs also come with colors setting options so you can personalize your lights with over 16 million dimmable colors and different white lights tones, along with 20 pre-programmed color modes. There’s also a timer for light schedules, so you can set the lights to “on” and “off” at a pre-set times.
The bulb can be controlled remotely and via voice control, is compatible with IFTTT, Alexa and Google Home Assistant and has the option of creating group bulbs to control each bulb individually, or together as a group. You can also enjoy the camera mode, where you can use your favorite photos to set up the colors, or pick up colors from the camera, along with the mic function to synchronize the sounds from any source. Most of all, you can use the Night-Light function to help you relax and sleep tight. The smart bulb offers many lighting patterns, suitable for residential, office, hotel, shop, exhibition, landscaping, indoor, or home space. Just set your own brightness and color temperature to enjoy your environment.
Pros and cons
To sum up the experience with the Magic Light Wi Fi multi-color light bulbs, here are some pros and cons listed below.
- This multi-color smart-bulb has a Mic and Camera mode functions to double the fun.
- The bulb is Wi-Fi enabled, so no hub is required.
- Night-light function for a good night sleep.
- Complete remote control, coming with the added comfort of voice control compatible with IFTTT, Alexa and Google Home Assistant.
- There are users who reported that the multi-color light bulb loses the connection to the Wi-Fi network, cannot reconnect itself automatically and requires an additional manual reset process.
- Other users reported that the bulb works fine at the beginning and afterward has issues in connecting to the app.
- Lighting is reported by some to be weak – however, this is based on personal opinion.
- Placing the bulb in a metal or enclosed fixture tends to interfere with the WiFi signal.
Today, there are too many options to choose from regardless of what you are buying. Even when you are choosing a simple product such as a toothpaste, you may find yourself overwhelmed by the number of brands at the supermarket. Now, consider the effort you may need when choosing a smart bulb to brighten up your home. It can be a real nightmare! Luckily, based on the five best smart bulbs reviewed above, you may have a chance at a better decision.
The multi-color light bulbs we reviewed above all come with different prices and features, along with different users’ experience – some of them are positive and some not. However, from my own experience, if I had to choose again, I would definitely go with the LOHAS Smart LED Bulb for my own house. It may be a bit more expensive than some other ones (the cost is $39.99), but the quality is also quite higher when compared to the other ones. It has some amazing features, such as time scheduling and scene modes, voice and remote control, the colors are truly versatile and bright, while the group control option is easier to perform than with most bulbs.
To be honest, it does seem to have some flaws as well, such as the Wi-Fi router connectivity issue and the need to set your phone to 2.4ghz Wi-Fi, but I never really experienced these issues. The app just seemed unresponsive when I had few internet issues, but that is normal. And it worked just fine when paired with Alexa. Hence, if you still struggle with a decision, walk around your home and measure the fixtures where you are considering to install the bulb and purchase one or few LOHAS Smart LED Bulbs. Enjoy a brighter home today!